This entire month of September, I did NOT buy a single fashion, makeup, or leisure item!
I strictly stuck to paying rent, utilities, gasoline, food/groceries, and laundry quarters.
I also managed to get my and my bf's grocery bill together to be around $300. That does not include going out to eat, which he always pays for, but sticking to $300 isn't too terrible and reasonable for two adults.
One question here is, was my sanity compromised?
Actually...not too much! My sanity stayed more or less same except I didn't have to experience regrets! I am proud of myself for not buying a thing.
Big question is, how did I manage to not spend with my spending addiction?
- Any ad in my email I deleted immediately, didn't even take a full glance at the deals they were offering so that I wouldn't be tempted.
- I also CONSTANTLY reminded myself mentally that I'm on a shopping ban.
- I did not even browse the cosmetic section of CVS, Target, Walmart, or any store to prevent myself from being tempted. In and out of the grocery store with food only and household essentials like toilet paper.
- Did not browse any fashion retailer website, even for fun, even if I really did not intend to buy anything, as to not be tempted to buy anything, even if it was $5
- I constantly checked my bank accounts to remind myself how poor I am and how I quite literally cannot afford anything at the moment regarding leisure.
- Did not even go to the mall (not that this town has any good shopping malls...). Period. Except for an interview and that was it. In. Out. Done.
My methods obviously wont' work for everyone but it's what worked for me.
I will be visiting Houston next month to face paint for my old boss to hopefully gain a lot of money to save to hold me off until I can find a stable job.
So you're probably wondering....if I didn't go out to have fun or go shopping, what on earth have I been doing with myself for an entire month?
Answer: PICKED UP "FREE" HOBBIES and ACTIVITIES
- Watched YouTube videos, despite them tempting me to buy makeup with guru's recommendations. Mostly watched for the sake of watching, not necessarily to be on the hunt to buy anything
- CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. You'd be surprised how much you have to clean even if your house/apartment looks clean. There's always vacuuming. Tile cleaning. Bathroom cleaning. Dish washing. Putting up the dishes. SO MUCH CLEANING
- Played Age of Empires on the desktop computer. My bf's friend bought me the game a while ago so it was free for me, but really, it was just $10 anyway
- Practiced face painting on myself
- Ran a bunch of grocery errands and other errands
- Drew a comic, which I will be drawing more comics in the future and perhaps might reward myself with a drawing tablet if I am serious about putting them on a blog/online for the public to see. My drawings aren't great, but everyone starts somewhere.
- Took pictures
- Went on a few walks with my boyfriend at the park
- Dealt with drama. I obviously do NOT recommend this but it took up some of my time
- Filmed a YouTube video or two. I've slowed down on videos because I haven't been hauling. I need to start filming non-purchase related videos!
- Packed my luggage for my Houston trip that's around the corner for October 2014
- Looked up cooking blogs
- Spent a good chunk of my time cooking lunch and dinner each day for me and my boyfriend
- Chatted with friends via Kakao, regular texting, AIM, and Facebook messenger
- Attempted to play the old game Animal Crossing
- Did two interviews for two different companies (I have yet to hear back from them though T_T )
- Played Magic the Gathering with my boyfriend to learn how to play it more
- Watched YouTube videos on how to play Magic the Gathering
- Watched long vlogs
- Did one free balloon gig for an elementary school who didn't seem all that grateful to me dedicating my time. Tomorrow I'm doing a free 3 hour face painting gig at a well known fast food chain to get my name out there. I originally emailed them asking if they need my services but they never responded to me because they're cheap and didn't want to pay me despite my lower rates/fees. Emailed them again with a special deal on one free 3 hour face painting and they responded immediately. NEVER AGAIN will I allow myself to be taken advantage of! I won't face paint for this restaurant anymore unless they decide to pay me in FULL and with MONEY rather than ONE FREE MEAL. Ugh.
- Pampered myself with sheet masks and regular masks that I already own
- Thought about too many things and made myself anxious--definitely do not recommend but it definitely consumed my time!
- Painted my nails
So yea, that's what kept me busy. I can't lie though. There were times I went nuts because there was nothing to do in this boring town, but I tried my best to keep busy with what I listed above.
That's it y'all! Thank you to anybody who read this post. :)
See y'all later!