Friday, August 15, 2008

Mario Badescu Silver Powder + Biore Pore Strip Review

At last!!! After procrastinating....or more rather, actually being busy.......well, actually it's a mixture of both =P I was really busy so I haven't been blogging as I usually do and also procrastination kicked in. Sorry =(

Anyhoo, I got out of the shower this morning, and decided to use my Mario Badescu Silver Powder, and that reminded me that I needed to put this review up!!!

I'm not going to speak too too much about this product, because the PHOTOS will do all the talking. Sorry, but some of yall might be grossed out by my pore-clogged-blackhead-infested nose! XD So in order to do this review, I might haveta gross some of yall out ^^()

Welps, here it goes! photo overload, so sorry if i slow down ur computer >.>



Directions: wet a cottonball (but don't drench it!!) and lightly dip it into the Silver Powder jar to get some powder on and smear it onto your nose. Wait 10-15 minutes for it to dry.
















I asked my bf bout this picture and my nose, and he said that he saw majority of the blackheads gone, but its just the problem that my pores has gotten large so it appears like I have blackheads after this MB silver powder+ pore strip, when it reality, I removed almost all the blackheads.

And, of course, lets finish this gross post off, with some camera-whoring! =D






ROWRRRR

Overall what I thought of. . .

Mario Badescu Silver Powder

Rating: 4/5
Price: $12 + shipping. 3/5 (I'm a cheapo so I dun like the price nor the additional shipping $$)
Unclogs pores: 5/5 definitely unclogs it for you
Ease of Use: 5/5

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide

The MB Silver Powder definitely does what it claims in that it unclogs your pores. It's up to you what you want to do at the end, whether you want to use the pore strip, or use an extractor to get out the blackheads, or use your own fingers to pull out the blackheads. I tried pulling out some of the blackheads with my own fingers and the MB silver powder loosened up the pores so much that it was pretty easy pulling it out, though gross, i was happy that it came out regardless.

They give you a good amount of the powder. After using this 4 times, it looks as if I didn't even use it at all looking into the jar, so despite that Im a cheap person and still think $12 is a lot to pay for, in actuality, you get quite a lot for that $12 =)

Biore Pore Strips

Rating: 4/5 (when used with Silver Powder) ; 1/5 (when used WITHOUT silver powder.aka when pore strip used alone)
Price: 3.5/5 I bought this at walmart for about $9 including tax for a pack of 14, so that's roughly 50-60 cents per strip. Sorry guys, but Im stingy and think that it should be more like 25 cents per strip rather than 50cents! XD, but hey, at least they were like $15 or somethin--that would be outrageous >.>;;
Ease of use: 3/5
If you don't apply it on your nose correctly so that it fits into every contour of your nose, you'll end up having gaps when it dries and the adhesive won't stick to the blackheads to pull them out, so you always have to be careful cuz it gets tricky IMO. I don't like how I have to be uber careful when applying the strips--i'd rather just slap it on mindlessly and have it still as effective even if i put it on wrong, but unfortunately that just can't be the case. You MUST put the strips on right.
Pulls out Blackheads: 4/5 when used WITH the MB silver powder, BUT if you use these strips alone WITHOUT the silver powder, to be honest, I'd say the effectiveness of this pore strip goes down to maybe a 1/5. I have used these exact same pore strips a couple years back and it BARELY got out ANY blackhead out of my nose, but the MB silver powder makes it soooo much easier for the pore strips to pull out the nasty lil pore-cloggers.

Ingredients (yea, these pore strips actually have ingredients!) :
Polyquaternium-37, Silica, Water, Glycerin, POlysilicone-13, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Titanium Dioxide, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben.


Hope that helps yall! If yall have any more questions after reading this, feel free to ask! =)

See yall laterrrr =)
_____________
edit

Just to add some extra, after using the nose strip, you know how it doesn't always get every blackhead out? I remembered when I did used this silver powder in the morning, I used LadyL's "bobby-pin extractor trick" to extract some of the leftover blackheads and it works =) . I personally like the pore strip just cuz it gets out majority of the blackheads all at once rather than do a small area at a time. I feel that extracting is more painful but I definitely feel that it gets ALL the blackheads out if you do it correctly. However, another pet peeve I don't like about extracting with an actual extractor/bobby pin or ur fingers, is that it leaves marks all over your nose. The extractors may not leave as bad of a mark on your nose, but your nails definitely do! I'd hate to grow up and have dents all over my nose =(

Next time I'll try to do an Only-Extractions method after using the Silver Powder to see if I get better results and I'll let yall know when I do that again =)

And I'll apologize in advance: I'm sorry if I don't post as much because school is coming up in a week! Plus I'll be out of town with my boyfriend helping him move into his dorm and spending one last week with him before we will be a city apart. And the city is a couple hours away so I know I won't be able to see him as easily as I once did >_< I gotta pack today and I wont' get back home til the day before school starts, so hopefully, my teachers will be a godsend and be such angels and be nice to all students to make my college experiences happier and easier.

EDIT Aug.30, 2008

I forgot to add how i applied this silver powder on my nose. Lurve commented on how she "mixed" her silver powder, but I do mine differently, and I'm sure it ends up the same.

What I do is dampen the cottonball where it's 1/4 soaked with water, and LIGHTLY dab the silver powder on and spread it directly onto my nose. I don't mix it anywhere else. The powder and water will mix on its own when I smear the silver powder across my nose.

=)

27 comments:

aireen said...

my boyfriend has black heads too & i put the queen helene masque on him it did the same thing as the badescu silver powder. it really isolated them & at the end they had risen to the top which made it easier to take it off hehe

he hated me for putting the stuff on his face & definitely put up a fight, but afterwards i could tell he was pleased!

REI 麗 said...

I think blackheads are so disgusting. It really bothers me...thanks for doing the review!

' * : . b | u 3 . : * ' said...

Its a good thing you posted this, thank you :) I've tried the silver powder only once. It didn't work so I've been wondering if I'm using it correctly. Will give mine another go :)

SUGABUM said...

Cool review! I never really knew exactly how the Silver Powder worked, so I never bought it. I've heard the raves about using silver powder with the pore strips, but I've heard that using the pore strips too often will result in enlarged pores in the long run. I don't know if it's true, but I don't want huge pores! I have some questions for you!

1. You know how you're pores are enlarged after using the pore strips...do the pores shrink back to normal size after a while? Like a couple of minutes?

2. How long does it take for the blackheads to make a comeback on your nose? AKA, How often would you have to repeat this procedure to continuously not have blackheads?

Like Aireen, my bf has a lot of blackheads and is always asking me to put stuff on it to try to get rid of them, so I'm really curious about the Silver Powder now! (I, for one, squish out my blackheads with my nails...I know, I know, bad habit.)

ChyiX2 said...

Wow... this looks VERY efficient on blackheads. Thanks for posting the review!

IchigoBunnie said...

aireen:
very lucky that yall can use the Queen Helene Masque! I didn't know it could have the same effect at a much cheaper price and its more convenient too.....too bad it has Sulfates, so I'm allergic to it >_< People with sensitive skin though might like the Silver Powder cuz it just has 3 ingredients...despite that it's more expensive

Rei:
omg i know!! i HATE blackheads. I wish they'd freakin go awayyyy. I feel so embarrassed when someone gets near me and I have a bad feeling that I KNOW they can see all those lil black dots all over my nose =(

Blue:
yay! do give it another go. I used this Silver powder and then applied my nose strip wrong...and omg it made the ENTIRE process go wrong and almost NO blackheads got out! gotta be very careful with the nose strip application. If u dun wanna tamper with the nose strips, why not try an extractor? =)

Sugabum:
That's what I heard too! But I thought...well, if the pore strips are basically pulling out the blackheads, isn't that the same idea for EVERY form of blackhead removal? Whether you get them out with an extractor or with your fingers? I dont' know if that's true, but that's my interpretation on it. My boyfriend actually used his fingers/nails to get out his blackheads cuz he was sooooo annoyed with them and his pores never been smaller! I can freakin BARELYYY see any pores on his nose--im so jealous!

as for your questions ^_^:

1)For me, my pores DO shrink, but I put cold water on my nose to close the pores because I get out of the shower and the steam opens up my pores, and I take advantage of that moment to put on the Silver Powder to make the removal even more easier, and after getting out the blackheads, I just wash my nose with some cold water and I really actually see my pores looking smaller, but I won't say they've shrunken drastically smaller. I think I'm born naturally (unfortunately) with large pores, so my pores may still have a large size, but honestly, I feel that each time I get out the blackheads, my pores get smaller for the while.

2) The directions on the jar say to use the silver powder once or twice a week. I've only been using it once a week so far. My blackheads make a come back in a lil less than a week, sadly. My pores just love being clogged apparently so I might even try doing the Silver Powder twice a week.. I have extremely acne prone skin that's pretty oily so my skin tends to rack up more dirt on my face quicker and easier than other skintypes, so maybe that's why the blackheads come back in less than a week =(

Chi:
no problem! that's why i put up this review, to help some people out =). I kept surfing the net trying to figure out how to use the silver powder and what effects does it have, so I always try to do my reviews as detailed as possible, whether it be with words, pictures, or both, so people can have the most understanding possible. I hate it when I bump into a review that just says "OMGAH THIS PRODUCT IS AWESOME EVERY BODY SHOULD GET IT I LOVE IT AND I THINK IT WORKS ITS LIKE A FREAKIN MIRACLE I DUNNO WHY IM WRITING IN CAPS AND IT LOOKS LIKE IM SCREAMIN ATCHA!"......I hate types of reviews XD it practically does nothing for the consumer, so I steer clear away from that!! lol

SUGABUM said...

Thanks for your response! =D I also have huge nose pores that always get oily and clogged up. I think blackhead removal a never ending process. Damn, genes!

ilurvemakeup said...

Great and disturbing picture review there sweets :P I'm tempted to try that silver powder, but I'll need to ask my derma first :) Thanks for the review :) GL with school!

Ms. _______ 2 be ! said...

I just use the white/blackhead remover tool or tweezer...haha...
I need to try out some pore strips...

fuzkittie said...

wooooo such satisfying pictures, lol~ Great review! Thank you very much for making the efforts. The pictures are so detailed, and totally not in a bad way ;]

It looks like it definitely does the job, I use Bliss's Deep Clean mask to do the same thing with bringing the black heads out.

And you're too cute with your "y'all"s. :D

jie jie said...

that's brave of you to post those pictures.. but honestly, i'm not grossed out. i enjoy seeing whiteheads pop out of my pores.. i enjoy squeezing them out.. i enjoy seeing them stuck in pore strips.. lol.. makes me feel my nose is cleaner.

ryc: yeah, neobenz is so $$. if not for it and if i only got the tretinoin medicine, i would've spent $15-20 instead of $100. i'll think i'll ask for RAM tomorrow instead. that wishlist is $800+ but with the F&F discount it'll be 20% less. but of course i'll have to cut it back down.

Fabu-less Beauty said...

Great review! Have you ever tried using an extractor?

Nic Nic said...

this is a great review! i have to agree, the powder doesnt get rid of all the black head, but a lot for me. i miss it, i left my MB powder in UK! LOL.

Audrie said...

wow you made the silver powder + Biore strip combo look so effective!! It's really a shame that I was allergic to the silver powder and had to let it go, it gave me little red bumps all over my nose :( Glad it works out for you though.

Agnes said...

woahhh this post is really really useful for me! i have a lot of blackheads but i have one method to remove it only. My black head mask. Which doesn't always do a great job *sigh*

anyway, what is this silver powder @.@ never heard of it. its the first time i've seen it!

Oh btw, i am linking u cause

1. you are lovely xD
2. I like u. no i am not les.
3. cause ur blog has great reviews.
4. I don't need anymore reason cause overall its awesome haha!

<3...

ilurvemakeup said...

I finally caved and placed an order for this. I'm not getting any good results with their sample tho, it seems like I'm breaking out more :( *sigh*

ilurvemakeup said...

I should of had my derma fill out the questionnaire, but I hate making calls to her :| You know what's annoying they sent me the eczema gel cleanser and I think it's effing up my skin really bad. Plus I don't feel clean at all after I wash my face with it >_<; I don't even have eczema so I have no idea why that was recommended to me *sigh* It sucks you can't get different samples cuz I think I got the wrong kit for my skin type :(

I'm excited for the silver powder to arrive, the weather has been messing with my pores lately. I am way too broke to go for another derma visit. I cringe just paying for the copay LOL We're both cheapos, I love it :)

ilurvemakeup said...

I finally used my silver powder and it wasn't as hard to blend as I thought. There is a lot of product wow! :D I used the biore strip after too and ewww I had so many whitehead on my nose lol I'm liking it so far and not having to use an extractor is a plus :) Thanks again for the close ups, it's what made me finally get it. They were very convincing :D

ilurvemakeup said...

Yeah girly thanks again for the pics :) Oh btw the best way to mix the cotton ball and the powder for me was using a clean CD or DVD blank disc. Much like using the disc with liquid foundation, I found the powder and damp cotton ball to mix better on the surface of the smooth CD than a regular bowl. I first used the sealer that was inside the silver powder which worked great too :)

ilurvemakeup said...

Oh btw forgot to mention, the free toner I got from them works AMAZING with the silver powder :D I don't like the rest of the stuff I got for free tho, but we'll see. I'm going to finish all the samples till I make my review :) Been using nothing but MB and it's killing me cuz I feel like the eczema cleanser isn't doing crap to clean my face :/ Good thing my Kandoo wipes is great at cleaning out my face makeup :D

Oh btw, I'm taking a break from the extractor. Few weeks ago I used it like normal and the next few days after I had this huge black spot in the middle of my nose... kinda looked like I popped a blood veseel under my skin. It was a biatch to cover that crap up.

ilurvemakeup said...

Idk why but I hated mixing it with the cotton ball onto my skin :/ The mixing disc made it smooth and creamier to mask on hehe Thanks for everything girly, have a great Labor Day! :D

Anonymous said...

how much was shipping??

IchigoBunnie said...

anonymous:

i'm really sorry but I do not know how much shipping is. My boyfriend bought me this as a suprise so I only know the regular stock price of the Silver Powder, which is $12. Try emailing Mario Badescu to see if u can get an estimate of how much it costs to ship :) I'm sorry i didn't help much. I would if I could.

natural beauty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kalmo said...

Wow, great and thorough review!! I really want to try this silver powder now. Ah I'm really cheap though because I'll have to buy those painful pore strips but the results look so good! Thanks for all the helpful pictures. :)

hannahlsd said...

Hi, I read this a few months ago when I finally bought some Biore strips, and so I decided I'm going to buy the Mario Badescu Silver Powder, but I was wondering what toner do you use? Or do you just use whatever you can buy? I have kind of oily skin, mainly on my nose though, I have breakouts a lot of my nose too, so anyway, thank you in advanced! Also, thank you for the review! It's extremely helpful.

IchigoBunnie said...

hannahlsd: in this old review I used the Clinique 2 Toner I believe. But now I currently use Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner or I use the Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer

All products are 100% my opinions and thoughts. I am not paid to review any products I post. Use the product and advice/suggestions at your own discretion. Thank you!

Thanks for Visiting!